Building 84


Built in 1828 of brick and iron this building was designed by William Miller for the sole purpose of housing saw-pits. The land it stands on was originally part of the garrisons’ land however they passed the land over to the dockyard. The one storey building has been shortened sometime in the late 20th century, having been forty feet in length with the 20 saw-pits having been filled in. An Ordnance Survey map from 1864 shows the north end of the building in use as a fire engine house and the south end as a converters mould store with the remaining area still as saw-pits. The building was later used as an engineers store but is now empty.

Designed & built by - Kevin Ali