Holy Trinity Church


Holy Trinity Church, Sheerness, was constructed in 1835 using yellow brick and stone. It was designed by G. L Taylor and constructed by William Ranger at a cost of £2,595, the foundation stone being laid by Delamark Banks Esq. on the 1st September. His father, Sir Edward Banks, donated the land for the church to be constructed on. The church was opened on the 13th August 1836 and the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Howley, consecrated the church and burial ground on the 30th August and the church’s Day School commenced at the end of the following year. The church was enlarged in 1851 when it became a district church at a cost of £4,128. Inside, the Royal Coat of Arms hangs over the interior doors leading to the aisle. A white stone font stands to the north as you enter, against the wall with a bronze ewer. A stained glass window in the east wall depicts the three persons of the Trinity. The burial ground was redesigned and made into Trinity Gardens soon after the end of World War One. More changes were yet to come and in 1933 the building was yet again adapted, two bays of the gallery were removed and the flooring was replaced in the sanctuary and choir with new choir stalls being installed. The altar was also lengthened and the stone reredos, also known as a alter screen, was replaced with a dossal and riddels. One of the curiosities of the church was adapted too; it was the pulpit which was of considerable height, this was reduced and was made a fixture. In 1884 the nearby Dockyard Church was ravaged by fire, it was later refurbished - however this church was closed in 1970 and when this happened the altar and some wooden panelling were moved to Holy Trinity Church, which you can still see today.

In 1998 a self–confessed pagan man who detested Christianity, while in a drunken state, smashed all of the windows of the church. When the police questioned him he said he had an uncontrollable urge to smash the windows. The man was later released on bail and ordered to stay at least 25 metres away from any religious building.

Designed & built by - Kevin Ali