The Guildhall was built in 1794 on the site of an earlier Market House which was captured when the Dutch invaded in 1667. The Market House consisted of a hall on the ground floor with an open side for the market, a multi-purpose space for corporation business and a court room on the first floor.
A description written from the records of the Department of the Environment - list of special archaeological or historic interest:
C18 to early C19. Front elevation two storeys of yellow brick. Plain brick pediment in the centre with parapet walls on either side. Pyramidal roof of welsh slate. Open copola in centre with ornamental weather vane. Projecting clock with bracket in centre of pediment with two small square lights at either side. Plaster cornice. First floor has three large diamond-pained windows. The centre window a modified venation window. The ground floor has four free-standing Tuscan columns forming the arcade and supporting plain architrave and entablature moulding of plaster. Behind are three sash windows surrounded by painted brick. Passage way through to court hall place. To the right side is two story C19 extension with one sash in round-headed architrave to first floor and two sashes to ground floor. The rear elevation is of red brick and has one dormer and iron ties.
In 1978 £1,000 was spent to fix the clock, which had been damaged by builders the year previously, unfortunately the clock, dating back to 1804, stopped again after a few months.
In 1987 the Guildhall had a major facelift, the works cost more than £12,000. The first phase of works included mending the flashing, slates and fixing the bell tower that was damaged by a hurricane. Followed by the redecoration of the main chamber which was estimated to cost £4,000 and finally replacing the old lead light windows which were estimated at £8,000.
There is a small prison behind the Guildhall that has recently been restored.
The Guildhall is currently a museum dedicated to the history of Queenborough, with much attention focused on the Minesweeper Flotilla that were based at Queenborough during the Second World War.
The Guildhall Museum is open from April till October at 2pm-5pm. The last admission is at 4.30pm. Between these times you can make a prior appointment to visit the Museum by contacting Lin Vine on 01795 667295.